BOCA RATON, Fla. -
The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team won its third straight tournament title when it won the Owls Classic with a sweep (25-21, 25-11, 25-20) of North Florida on Saturday. FAU is now 9-3 on the season.
continued her strong serving of late, giving the Owls a 6-2 lead in the first set. The Ospreys rallied to tie the score at 7-7. The sides were level at 10 when FAU went on a 4-0 run. UNF eventually pulled to within a point at 21-20, but back-to-back kills by Cailea Gibbs
helped seal the win. Abbi Reid's
serving built a 7-1 FAU lead and never relinquished the advantage, eventually winning set number two 25-11. In the third set, the Owls got out to another early edge, but once again, UNF proved stubborn and tied the set at 17. From there, FAU closed on an 8-3 run to take the match.
- The victory was FAU's ninth in a row, its longest winning streak since 2005.
- Massiel Matos led all players with 13 kills.
- Abbi Reid had nine kills and hit .692 on the day.
- Ivone Martinez posted her third double-double of the season with 48 assists and 12 digs.
- Alex Cardona had tallied 10 digs.
- Matos and Sigourney Kame made the all-tournament team, while Ivone Martinez was named MVP.
Senior setter Ivone Martinez
On winning tournament MVP…
"It's a testament to my teammates. The hitters did a good job of getting in position and making my job really easy."
The Owls begin Conference USA play at home against UAB on Sunday, Sept. 23. The match starts at noon. Live stats and video will be available at fausports.com. For tickets, call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS.