BOCA RATON, Fla. -
The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team won the FAU Invitational title with a sweep of Bethune-Cookman (25-18, 25-13, 25-8) on Saturday. The Owls improved to 3-3 on the year after not dropping a set all weekend.
served the Owls out to a 5-0 lead in the first set and FAU was able to make the lead stand up. BCU (2-4) pulled to within three at 20-17, but the Owls closed on a 5-1 run to take the set. Cardona's serving once again gave the Owls an early advantage in the second set on their way to a 25-13 triumph. FAU was even more impressive in the third set, putting together a 13-0 run at one point, before coasting to a 25-8 match-clinching win.
- Cailea Gibbs had a career high 12 kills to lead all players.
- Sigourney Kame posted nine kills and three blocks in the match.
- Massiel Matos tallied eight kills and nine digs.
- Alex Cardona notched 13 digs on the night to lead the Owls in that category.
- Ivone Martinez registered 37 assists and five digs.
- Martinez was named tournament MVP, while Cardona and Gibbs made the all-tournament team.
The Owls head to Chicago next weekend for the DePaul Invitational. FAU will face UConn at 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 7. in their first match of the tournament.