March 18, 2018
NORFOLK, Va. - Old Dominion scored once each in the seventh and eighth innings to win the series finale over Florida Atlantic University baseball on Sunday, 2-1 at the Bud Metheny Complex.
"Today was a disappointing loss after how well the guys played the first two days," said Head Coach John McCormack. "Too many mistakes cost us a chance to sweep."
The Turning Point
FAU (15-5, 2-1 Conference USA) took a 1-0 lead in the fourth inning, when ODU (8-11, 1-2 C-USA) starter Morgan Maguire's wild pitch with two outs scored Gunnar Lambert. The Owls had a chance to add on in the sixth, loading the bases with one out, but Maguire induced a groundout double play to keep it at that margin.
The Monarchs tied it in the seventh, too having the bases loaded, but with two outs. Tommy Bell hit a dribbler up the third base line that Joe Montes made as close as he possibly could at first, but Bell was called safe and the tying run scored. Then, in the eighth, and also with two outs, a single through the right side by Will Morgan gave the home team a 2-1 lead. In the last at-bat for the Owls, Montes singled with two outs, but a flyout to leftfield clinched the win for ODU.
- The Owls were held to six hits, two by Montes, and one each from Lambert, Tyler Frank, David Miranda and Pedro Pages
- Frank now has a 15-game hitting streak, and Pages has hit safely in eight in a row
- Pages has also reached base in nine straight games, and Eric Rivera has a seven-game streak
- Lambert walked twice in addition to his single
- Vince Coletti threw six shutout innings to start, allowing just three hits and a walk while striking out five. He lowered his season ERA to 2.05 with the effort
- Mark Nowatnick took the loss in relief
The Owls take the short trip south to Coral Gables to face the University of Miami. First pitch is 6:00 p.m., with starters for each team to be announced.