March 11, 2017
GULF SHORES, Ala. - The Florida Atlantic University beach volleyball team won both of its matches at the Gulf Coast Beach Volleyball Bash on Saturday. The Owls defeated Tulane 3-2 and New Orleans 5-0.
Match 1 vs. Tulane
Carly Scarborough and Maja Ristic lost the first set in their exhibition match, but rallied to force a third set, before falling 15-7. Nicole Grant and Nicole Navarro won a hotly contested match in straight sets at no. 4. On the no. 5 court, Ashlan Cunningham and Julia Lewkowicz also won in straight sets. Jessalyn Kinlaw and Megan Rice swept their match at no. 1. Gabrielle Dischler and Candace Lacour cruised to a 21-8 win in the first set, but the Tulane duo recovered to win the match at no. 3. Brittany Pellitteri and Jazmine Barker won the first set at no. 2 21-12, but lost the third set.
Florida Atlantic 3, Tulane 2
- Jessalyn Kinlaw/Megan Rice (FAU) def. Maddie Mertz/Lan Nguyen (Tulane) 21-10, 23-21
- Tea Juric/Kaylie McHugh (Tulane) def. Jazmine Barker/Brittany Pellitteri (FAU) 12-21, 21-15, 15-7
- Hannah Holmes/Sarah Strasner (Tulane) def. Gabby Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) 8-21, 21-18, 16-14
- Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) def. Tarin Mergener/Briana Correa (Tulane) 23-21, 21-18
- Julia Lewkowicz/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) def. Christina McAfee/Annie Shurtz (Tulane) 21-17, 22-20
Ext. Lindsey Huber/Anna Chin (Tulane) def. Maja Ristic/Carly Scarborough (FAU) 21-15, 10-21, 15-7.
Match 2 vs. New Orleans
The Owls had relatively easy wins on the four remaining courts, sweeping all of them in straight sets.
Florida Atlantic 5, New Orleans 0
- Megan Rice/Jessalynn Kinlaw (FAU) def. Cara Sander/Victoria Corcoran (UNO) 21-16, 21-13
- Brittany Pelletteri/Jazmine Barker (FAU) def. Veronica Corcoran/Blessing Dunn (UNO) 21-3, 21-17
- Gabrielle Dischler/Candace Lacour (FAU) def. Brook Frank/Rachel Kuhn (UNO) 21-11, 21-8
- Nicole Grant/Nicole Navarro (FAU) def. Lauren Levy/Brianna Vega (UNO) 21-9, 21-14
- Julia Lewkowski/Ashlan Cunningham (FAU) def. Samantha Uline/Karly Baker (UNO) 21-8, 21-7
The Owls will wrap up the Gulf Coast Beach Volleyball Bash on Sunday.