Feb. 4, 2017
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Florida Atlantic University track and field team will now set their sights on the postseason with the conclusion of Saturday's second go-round at the Sykes & Sabock Challenge Cup.
- The Owls had a great showing in the 400 meter dash, with two in the top five and four in the top eight. Sherline Valentin paced the squad in third with a time of 57.56, a personal record. Anne-Catherine Wasser was just one-one-hundredth of a second behind fourth place (fifth, 57.81), while nipping at her heels were Berneta Boldin (sixth, 57.89, another new PR) and Sitia Martinez (eighth, 58.17)
- Equaling Valentin for the top individual finish Saturday was Deja Jones in the 200 meters, crossing with a time of 24.79. She was just 0.42 behind the winner
- Back-to-back finishers in the 800 meters each set new personal bests. Frida Thorsås was eighth at 2:14.57, and Mikaela Jonsson was ninth at 2:14.85. Thorsås remains fifth in the all-time record book with her faster time while Jonsson is now sixth, up one spot
- Thorsås also finished 10th in the shot put, throwing to a distance of 12.19 meters
- In the last event of the meet, the 4x400 meter relay team ran a time of 3:51.10 to move up a slot in the FAU record book. Boldin, Jones, Valentin and Wasser improved their last meet showing of 3:51.70 to now place sixth all-time
The Owls make their second trip to Birmingham, Alabama this indoor season, this time for the Conference USA Indoor Championships. The first of two days is in two weeks, Feb. 18.