Feb. 3, 2017
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - The Florida Atlantic University track and field team completed a handful of events to wrap Friday night's day one of the Sykes & Sabock Challenge Cup.
- Two Owls qualified for the 60 meter dash finals, and both finished among the top five overall with improved times: Deja Jones, coming in second (7.59) after running the fastest time in the preliminaries (7.61), and Crystal McDougle, improving from 7.79 to 7.74 in the finals for fifth place as well as a new personal best
- McDougle also advanced in the 60 meter hurdles after racing the third-fastest preliminary time of 8.81. In the same event finals, Cassidy Smith would finish fourth, lowering her time from 9.02 to 8.98, a PR
- The FAU distance medley relay squad placed fourth. Carydaliz Fontanez, Sitia Martinez, Erica Lersch and Mikaela Jonsson combined for a time of 12:14.64, a mark that now slots fifth on the program's record list
- Frida Thorsås leapt a length of 5.36 meters in the long jump to place ninth and equal her PR
- Two Owls blitzed past their top career times in the 5,000 meters: Sophia Clark (19:02.89, better by almost 16 full seconds) and Emily Ludwig (19:13.24, faster by over 26 seconds)
The Owls wrap up in Pennsylvania on Saturday, with a spate of events from 12:15 p.m. to 2:55 p.m.