Feb. 25, 2017
Day Four Results
Complete Meet Results
Florida Atlantic University women's swimming and diving concluded the 2017 Conference USA (C-USA) Swimming and Diving Championships with a splash as Victoria Moretti was named Diver of the Meet and Yaidel Gamboa was honored as Diving Coach of the Year on Saturday night. The Owls finished in sixth place with a final score of 221. On the last day of competition, Moretti broke another pair of FAU records and the team set seven lifetime bests.
Making A Splash
- Moretti broke another FAU and freshman record with a personal best score of 256.45 in the platform dive to earn second place. The C-USA Diver of the Meet owns all three FAU and freshman diving records, which consist of the 1-meter, 3-meter and platform. FAU Dive Coach Gamboa earned his second Coach of the Year title for his efforts with the squad.
- In the first event of the evening, Bailey Grabenhorst and Rebecca Battles both set lifetime bests in the 1650-yard freestyle with times of 17:39.81 and 18:07.53.
- Holly Hopson, Kalanne Krause and Shealyn Atkins take third, fourth and fifth in the 200-yard backstroke "C" final all posting improved times of 2:09.31, 2:11.26 and 2:11.79. Hopson's time is a new personal best by more than one second.
- In her final race as an Owl, Hannah Roper claimed second (2:18.94) in the 200-yard breaststroke "B" final. In the "C" race, Savannah Sawyers took first (2:24.92) and Grabenhorst came in third (2:26.60).
- Sharon Kok and Brooke Johnson both set personal bests in the 200-yard butterfly "B" final with times of 2:08.28 and 2:11.81. Rachel Rende was joined by Breanna Saukas in the 200 fly "C" final as the two finished fourth (2:13.70) and fifth (2:15.23).
- The 400-yard freestyle relay team ended the competition with a sixth-place finish coming in at 3:29.59. Devon Mark swam the lead leg and set a new career best in the first 100 free (52.51).
- FIU defended their 2016 title and won the championship with 992.5 points. Rice was the runner-up with a score of 749 followed by Marshall (724), North Texas (435.5) and Old Dominion (326).
- Hopson, Krause and Atkins would represent FAU in the 200 back "C" race after posting times of 2:10.84, 2:11.81 and 2:15.12, respectively.
- The 100 free featured numerous FAU swimmers with Reuter setting a new lifetime best time of 54.76. Witkay was the Owls' top finisher (52.99) and served as an alternate for the evening's finals. Bridget Belcik took part in the time trials and set a career-best 54.65.
- Roper barely missed the cut for the 200 breast championship final as she swam a 2:19.70, which was good for the "B" final. Grabenhorst and Sawyers posted times of 2:27.20 and 2:31.96 in the prelims to be a part of the "C" final.
- Kok blew her personal best time out of the water to move on to the 200 fly "B" final (2:10.89). She would be joined by Johnson who posted a 2:14.34. Rende moved on to the "C" final after coming in at 2:15.58.
- Moretti did not disappoint in her third event of the meet as she finished second in the platform prelim with a score of 225.06 to advance to the final. Beyer just barely missed the cut with a tenth-place finish (163.20).
The men and women will cheer on their teammates Ryan McIntire, Miles Miller and Victoria Moretti as they compete at the NCAA Zone B Diving meet in Auburn, Alabama on March 6-8.