Box Score Nov. 5, 2017
BOCA RATON , Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University volleyball team clinched a spot in the Conference USA Tournament with a sweep (25-12, 25-8, 25-20) of UTEP on Sunday. The Owls improved to 16-8 overall and 7-5 in C-USA play. Seniors Gabrielle Dixon and Kristi Tekavec were recognized prior to the match.
FAU and UTEP were tied 9-9 in the first set before the Owls went on a 16-3 run to win the frame 25-12. In set number two, FAU had several extended serving runs, taking a 2-0 lead with a 25-8 victory. The Owls built an early lead in the third frame before the Miners (5-21, 2-11 C-USA) rallied to level the score at 16-16. From there, FAU scored four straight points to take a 20-16 edge. UTEP pulled to within a point at 21-20, but the Owls won the next four points to complete the sweep and punch their ticker to the conference tournament.
- Abbi Reid led all players with 12 kills and hit 647.
- Jordan Yauch and Sydney Nemtuda each posted 11 kills.
- Alex Cardona had a match-high 15 digs.
- Ivone Martinez distributed 41 kills and added four digs.
- Emily Hise had five kills in her first action as an Owl.
- As a team, FAU outhit UTEP .376 to .045.
- The Owls have now made the conference tournament for the fifth straight season.
The Owls will end the regular season at UAB and Charlotte next weekend.