Box Score Oct. 1, 2017
BOCA RATON, Fla. - Some fresh faces helped the Florida Atlantic University volleyball team in its four set (23-25, 25-23, 25-15, 26-24) win over Charlotte on Sunday. The win was the Owls' first in C-USA play this year.
Set number one was tight in the early going before the 49ers (15-5, 2-2 C-USA) used a 6-2 run to build a 17-13 lead. FAU (10-5, 2-2) rallied to tie the score at 23, but Charlotte's Janell Sparks posted back-to-back kills to give the 49ers a 1-0 lead. A similar story unfolded in the second set when Charlotte held a 15-11 edge. Once again, the Owls leveled the score, then took a 24-21 lead. The 49ers staved off two set points, but Jordan Yauch's second kill of the frame evened the match at a set apiece. The widest margin of victory came in third stanza, when the Owls outhit Charlotte .421 to .114, winning 25-15 and taking a 2-1 edge. FAU held a modest, but persistent lead in the fourth set. The 49ers wouldn't go away, and eventually knotted the score at 24. Sydney Nemtuda notched kills number 18 and 19 on the day, and the Owls sealed the match with a 26-24 win.
- First year players provided 42 of the team's 76 kills and added 28 digs.
- Sigourney Kame led FAU with 21 kills.
- Sydney Nemtuda had her second straight double-double, once again posting career highs in kills (19) and digs (16).
- Abbi Reid put down 13 kills.
- Mimi Marion set a career high with 12 kills and tied her career high with five total blocks.
- Jordan Yauch notched 10 kills, giving FAU five players with double-digit kills.
- Nikki Lakman just missed a double-double with a career high 66 digs and eight assists.
- Alex Cardona registered 19 digs to lead the team.
- Kori Varney and Dena Tekavec each posted 12 digs.
The Owls will travel to Rice on Friday, Oct. 6. The match will start at 7 p.m. ET. Live stats will be available at fausports.com.