Jan. 1, 2017
Huntington, W.Va. -
Florida Atlantic University women's basketball's second half struggles (4-9, 0-2 C-USA) led to a 76-53 loss to Marshall (10-3, 2-0 C-USA) on Sunday afternoon. The Owls were outscored 41-19 in the second half of the contest despite outshooting the Thundering Herd 38.2-37.3 percent overall.
FAU went into the fourth quarter without seeing a score since Alexis Shannon's two at the 5:37 mark in the third. The Owls were able to hold Marshall to just five points in the first three minutes and then saw Sasha Cedeno break the scoring drought at 6:49 with a layup and one. In the final three minutes, Shannon was a perfect 2-for-2 and Cedeno added two more, but it was not enough to overcome the Thundering Herd's lead. Shayna Gore and Khadaijia Brooks combined for 10 of Marshall's 17 points in the fourth.
In the first quarter, Marshall outscored FAU 20-11 despite strong defense from the Owls. Ra'Kyra Gabriel and Katelyn O'Reilly both had a block as FAU held the Herd's leading scorer Shayna Gore to just three points. The Owls' offense began to turn it on in the final three minutes scoring seven and holding Marshall to just 2-of-11 to end the quarter down 20-11.
FAU came out with a vengeance on both sides of the ball, outshooting the Thundering Herd 83.3-30.8 percent in the first five minutes of the second quarter. FAU also outrebounded their opponent 12-6 while scoring a total of 23 points to the home team's 15. Marshall was able to stay in it as they went 5-of-7 from the line off of seven Owl fouls. At 1:23, with four seconds left on the shot clock, Jacey Bailey hit her second shot from downtown to bring FAU within four. Melinda Myers joined the party with a three of her own to put the Owls within their closest lead of the game and end the half down 35-34.
In the third, both teams came out and exchanged shots, yet the Herd pulled ahead with 4-of-7 makes from the perimeter while also outshooting FAU 55.6-30.8 percent from the floor. Marshall only had one turnover to the Owls' five, which earned them four points. The Thundering Herd earned 24 points to FAU's 10 and ended the quarter ahead 59-45.
"Nothing But Net" Notables:
- Bailey broke the career high she just set at WKU with 10 points. The freshman guard also had five rebounds and one assist.
- Shannon had an impressive offensive performance going 5-for-6 for a career-high 10 points. The frosh added four rebounds and one assist in just 23 minutes.
- All nine Owls that saw the floor had at least two points and three rebounds. Junior forward Gabriel had a team-high six rebounds and tacked on two points and two assists on the day.
- Marshall's Gore racked up a team-best 20 points followed by McKenzie Akers who had 15 on 4-for-9 from the 3-point line and 3-for-4 from the free throw line.
- The Owls defense worked hard as they held the Herd to below their average of 82.3 points and .483 shooting at home. However, FAU had 40 rebounds to the Marshall's 45 and gave up 13 points off of 16 takeaways.
The Owls will head back down south to face in-state rival FIU on Saturday, Jan. 7 at 2 p.m. in Miami.