Sept. 26, 2016
TAMPA, Fla. - Sophomore Anthony Schohn went 4-0 in singles play and 3-1 in doubles action to lead the Florida Atlantic University men's tennis team at the Bedford Cup in Tampa.
"Anthony has proven to be an extremely consistent player over the past year and this is not a coincidence. Anthony shows up to work day in and day out and his desire to be successful is unquestionable," FAU Head Coach Ricardo Gonzalez said. "We definitely showed some improvement as a team in this tournament, especially in doubles. We are starting to make the right moves out there and making better decisions with our shot selection. I can't stress enough how much doubles will be a big part of our success this year. We are taking steps in the right direction but we need to continue to get better."
• Schohn ran the table in the B singles, topping opponents from Bethune Cookman, FGCU and Stetson and worked his way to the finals, which were unfortunately canceled due to weather on Sunday.
• Schohn and doubles partner Felipe Frias lost their first doubles match, but ran the table in the consolation bracket before play was again suspended.
• Remi Chancerel earned the Don Barr Sportsmanship Award after going 2-2 in singles, crafting a spot in the consolation semifinals. Chancerel paired up with Ignacio Jimenez to earn a semifinal appearance in the doubles consolation before play was cut short due to weather.
• Jimenez and Stephan Burnett went 2-2 in singles play and each made it to the consolation semifinals. • Christian Haushammer and Burnett each went 1-1 in singles action before pairing up to defeat Bethune Cookman in the doubles round of 32
• After falling in the round of 16 in the A singles, Frias earned a win before falling in the semifinals of the consolation bracket
• Gabriel Carvajal, Alexander Gitin and Trey Nickerson each won a match in singles play.