Aug. 12, 2016
Final Stats | WBB Tour Blog
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - (Aug. 12, 2016) - The Florida Atlantic University women's basketball team, behind a combined 37 points from Malia Kency and Raven Doyle, topped the University of British Columbia 80-68 in the Owls' first game in Canada on Thursday.
The Turning Point
After UBC ended the first quarter on an 8-2 run, the Owls used a 22-12 second quarter to take a lead they wouldn't relinquish.
The Owls went ahead by as many as 17 in the fourth and ended the game by scoring 10 of the last 14 points to seal the victory.
- The junior duo of Kency and Doyle had 20 and 17 points, respectively, on 13-of-21 shooting.
- Doyle was 4-of-5 for nine points in the first; Kency was 4-of-5 for 10 points in the second.
- Kat Wright had eight points and eight rebounds, tying for the team high in the latter with Doyle, while freshman Julia Jenike started and had eight points as well.
- Another frosh, Katelyn O'Reilly, also drew a start and had seven points and seven boards.
- The Owls had 15 steals, forcing 22 Thunderbird turnovers while winning the points-off-turnover battle 32-21.
- In her homecoming, British Columbia native Jacey Bailey had back-to-back layups in the opening period while also adding three rebounds and a team-best three steals.
- All told, 12 Owls saw the floor while 10 made it into the scoring column.
- The Thunderbirds had four in double digits, led by Shilpa Khanna with 14 points off the bench.
- Maddison Penn posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds, but the Owls hounded her into a 3-for-19 shooting night.
The Owls play again on Friday, traveling to Abbotsford to take on the University of Fraser Valley at 10 p.m. EST.
Keep up with the Owls' tour of Canada on their blog, which has been updated with day two musings from freshmen Vashnie Perry and Tyana Robinson here: http://ksmit207.wixsite.com/fauwbbtakesbc.