Box Score Oct. 2, 2016
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Florida Atlantic University women's soccer team swept their weekend road trip to move two games over .500 in Conference USA play, upending UAB on Sunday afternoon, 1-0.
The game-winner for the Owls (7-5-1, 3-1-0 C-USA) came when Sammy Rowland created space and found a streaking Tiril Haga cutting into the box. The freshman took the pass and made good on her first collegiate goal, beating the UAB keeper right with 20:54 left to break the scoreless tie.
After each team took six shots in the first half, FAU held the Blazers (4-5-1, 1-1-1) to just four after the break, none of which were on target.
- Goalkeeper Sydney Drinkwater tallied her sixth shutout of the season, putting her one away from tying (and two away from breaking) the FAU all-time program career record
- The Owl defense continues to dominate, recording the team's third shutout in four matches; in just under 500 minutes of action, opponents have scored just one goal against them
- Again, the backline formed a proverbial wall in front of Drinkwater as the quartet of Marli Batiste, Erica Burt, Madison Caldwell and Sophie Sanchez combined to play 351 out of a possible 360 minutes on the pitch
- The Owls more than doubled their conference counterparts on shots in the second half, 9-4
- In addition to her assist on the game-winner, Rowland had team highs of five shots and two shots on goal
- The Owls are technically tied for first place in the C-USA standings, as their nine points has them even with Charlotte and Western Kentucky, both also 3-1, and North Texas also is at nine, at 3-0 with one less league match
"Tremendous effort this weekend from the girls," said Head Coach Patrick Baker. "It's the first time that we've been on the road for a Friday/Sunday weekend the entire season ... to have two almost must-win games, to go to Middle and get a first-half goal and make it stand up, and then today in the heat against a very good opponent that doesn't give up a lot, we just happened to find that moment of magic again in the second half."
The Owls' four-match road trip finally concludes with another C-USA match this Thursday, Oct. 6 against Southern Mississippi (5-4-1, 0-3-1) in Hattiesburg. Kickoff will be at 5 p.m. EDT. Following that, for the first time in 21 days, FAU will host a match at the FAU Soccer Stadium, taking on Charlotte on Sunday, Oct. 9. To purchase tickets for that match or for season ticket plans, call 1-866-FAU-OWLS or visit https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/fau/EN/buy/browse?i%5B0%5D=242.